1.19.2006

The Chosen One

It was a bit of a task deciding what to make for the Knitting Olympics. Initially, I considered the cabled shrug from Fall '50 Interweave Knits (on my to-knit-soon list since July) and my backup was going to be the brioche stitch mini-poncho from Wrap Style.

Unfortunately, I asked my boyfriend what he thought of the shrug and he made one of those "icky" faces. When I asked what about it he didn't like, he said the sleeves, shoulders and torso. So all of it. I know. His reasoning? It wasn't a 'traditional' garment. Which therefore not only eliminated the shrug but also the back-up project, and the garment I was actually wearing at the time. *sigh.

I know, I should ignore him. But I’m not going to spend a massive amount of time on a project (which will likely include some hard-core boyfriend neglect) that I’ll be disinclined to wear whenever I see him (practically every day).

Thus, I have decided to knit a cardigan that will be inspired from Mariah from Knitty, but will largely be my own design. It won’t be all too challenging of a design, but it will go through some changes – cables up along the zipper sides, a seed stitch floppy collar instead of a hood, and size 10 needles.

My list of necessary items/tasks to make it through the challenge:

• Addi Turbos – I’ll need some speedy knitting.
• Advance work – I’ll need to work ahead in my classes to prepare for a certain amount of slacking.
• Girl Scout Cookies (specifically Samoas) – These come in the 13th. I’ll have to go 3 days of the challenge without them. That’ll be tough.
• Hand Lotion
• Stitch Markers (I think I’ll make some special ones just for this occasion)
• Seaming as I go – in order to avoid awful work at the end.
• The Handy Book of Sweater Programs and Harmony Stitch Guides Volume 2
• Diet Coke with Lime – for energy and sustenance. At least 3 cases. Probably more.
• Clear, printed directions of how to cable without a cable needle


Things I’ll keep a running tab of –
• Cursing
• Occasions of frogging
• Hours of sleep
• # of Girl Scout Cookies/Diet Cokes Consumed
• Balls of yarn knitted up

I am so excited about this. But I do think that I’m a little nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home